Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chubby girl too can run?

One thing I brought with me to Taiwan is my awful habit of jogging/running/shuffling.  It is more preventative than the actual desire to run in this inhumane humidity.  Beside visiting family and friends, I am in Taiwan for one important purpose: eating.  To make sure I don't end up rolling home like a ball, I run in the morning.


There are two places I go for my run: one is this quiet path in the science park where it is like an oasis among the industrial buildings; the other one is the sports park where a standard running track exists and an Olympic-size swimming pool with a fun kids' pool where the boys love to go and we've been there just about every other day.


I love running on the path of the science park because it's much quieter and cooler with the trees lining the path.   To get to the park though, I have to hike up a .8 mile of 12% grade two-lane freeway. ( I know the exact distance because I have my Nike plus with me.)  During morning commute hours, the exhaust from the cars and motorcycles are just too much to bear for the hike.  So on the days I don't get up early enough, I go to the sports park.


There are always people on the track either jogging like I do or walking.  After I've finished my 8 laps, I was doing the stretching and trying to cool down.  A guy walked past me and said: "小姐胖胖也可以跑哦!" (Translation directly: Chubby miss too can run, huh!) I was half amused and half shocked and all I could utter was "WHAT?!" in English.  That startled him because he looked sheepishly and nodded his head with apologies in Chinenglish "So-ree, so-ree."


Later on my way home, I thought his comment is actually a compliment, at least I've decided to make it so.  Yes, chubby girls can run too and I'm the proof of it!  So for breakfast I added another order of juicy dumplings - yum!


I run around this man-made pond.


The path around the pond.


The path lined with trees.


Juicy dumplings (湯 包.)  Will post more about it later.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I would have been just as shocked as you! Looks like a lovely running trail. Glad you are having fun there!!

Suzanne said...

Hahahahahaahahahahahaha! And the funny thing is, youre not even chubby! Im sure if Don had been there he could have come up with some real zingers to reply to that man :-)just because that was so funny, i think ill go have a donut

Unknown said...

Debbie, glad you're having a great time with your family. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I feel like I'm there.